The Original Growler Kid’s Race (and Skills Clinics):
Calling all young mountain bikers from Striders on up that want to participate in the Gunnison Trails Growler weekend but just don’t quite have the legs for a full big race lap. Here’s the scoop for The Original Kid’s Growler.
When: Saturday – 8:30am, May 28, 2022
Where: Hartman Rocks base area (SouthEast corner of the parking lot)
Click images for larger view. Registration area and Course Map
PRE-REGISTER (FREE) : On Friday May 27, you can now pre-register your kiddo at adult registration (WCU Field House). CB Devo will be there with maps and all the goodies needed to get your kiddo ready the night before their race. Here you’ll get a number plate and sign a quick release of liability waiver.
DAY OF REGISTRATION (FREE): Please meet us at the Hartman Rocks base area (SouthEast corner of the parking lot (see map above) starting at 8:30am on Saturday, May 28 (see below for separate registration times before each race). Here you’ll get a number plate and sign a quick release of liability waiver. Don’t forget to bring snacks and a water bottle or hydration pack. Helmets and closed toed sneakers required, sunglasses and bike gloves are highly recommended.
RACE 1- Ages 9+
LONG COURSE/30-min plus 1 lap, start 9:35am/finish 10:20am
- Registration closes at 9:25am
- This race will be on a longer course for our oldest and fastest kids. Riders registering for this race must have solid descending skills and endurance for longer laps with more climbing. This race will be approximately 30 minutes long. The suggested age range for this race is 9 and up.
RACE 2- Ages 7-9
SHORT COURSE/20-min plus 1 lap, start 10:30am/finish 11:00am
- Registration closes at 10:20am
- On the short course, this race will be for even faster kids with more proficient bike handling skill and fitness. This race will be approximately 20 minutes long. The suggested age range for this race is 7-9 years old.
RACE 3- Ages 5-7
SHORT COURSE/15-min plus 1 lap, start 11:10am/finish 11:35am
- Registration closes at 11:00am
- On the short course, this race is intended for kids that are confident pedaling and more experienced on two wheels. This race will be approximately 15 minutes long. The suggested age range for this race is 5-7 years old.
RACE 4- Ages 3-5
SHORT COURSE/1 LAP, start 11:45am (separate races for push and pedal bikes)
-11:45am start PUSH BIKES
-12:00pm start PEDAL BIKES
- Registration closes at 11:35am
- On the short course, for the Strider riders as well as those just transitioning to pedals. For this one lap/short course race, we ask that parents accompany their child with no brakes or those who are still a little shaky. There may be a “mandatory dismount” to get down one short hill. Suggested age range for this race is 3-5 years old.
We will have healthy post-race refreshments at the start/finish area. Please contact Adam at events@CrestedButteDevo.com with any questions.
When: CB Devo Clinics will be held in ODD years due to the BIG race route direction. We will see you in 2023!
Where: Hartman Rocks Base area (SouthEast corner of the parking lot)
We will be offering plenty of FUN and SKILL BUILDING for beginner to intermediate riders. Our professional CB Devo coaches are notorious for getting kids stoked to take their mountain biking to the next level. The focus of these clinics will be:
- Body Position
- Bike Set-Up
Don’t miss this awesome opportunity! Availability is limited, please contact Adam at events@CrestedButteDevo.com today to reserve your spot. Same day sign-up will be based on availability. Clinics will take place at the Hartman Rocks base area and participants should meet at the SouthEast corner of the parking lot – a.k.a. “Original Kid’s Growler Headquarters”. Riders are required to have a proper fitting and safe bike and helmet along with gloves, proper footwear, hydration pack with water and a snack.
These clinics will be offered free of charge, however we strongly encourage and appreciate any donations that will benefit the Crested Butte Development Team, a 501(c)3 non-profit youth organization that supports riders in the Gunnison valley.